Contribute to the first complete guidebook about Altai whitewater for kayakers and rafters in the English language.
By Anton Sveshnikov
Altai is a highest mountain system of Siberia, where Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan and China all come together. The best whitewater rivers run here. ‘Altai’ means ‘Golden Mountains’ translated from Turkic. True, it’s totally a pure gold.
However, it is hard for foreigners to travel due to the language barrier: almost nobody speaks English in Siberia and don’t even try to understand the Cyrillic alphabet. But the biggest problem is lack of information about rivers, logistic and trails in English (or German, French, Spanish etc).
Last year I wrote and published Whitewater Altai guidebook in Russian language. This book became extremely popular among Russian paddling community. Now I’m glad to present English version of the book where I share all my experience and knowledge about Altai rivers with kayakers and rafters from all around the world. It is more than just simple translation from Russian; I rewrote it in order to make the guidebook appropriate for western paddlers’ needs.
In the whitewater Altai guidebook you can find all you need to make your kayak or raft trip in this Russian region:
- Basic information about region: geography, climate, ethnography, history
- Valuable information for travellers: getting to, visas, logistic, accommodation, food, money, safety etc.
- Information for riverrunners: history of exploring Altai rivers, season, commercial rafting, water levels, gear list, how to bring your boat to Altai, safety information, whitewater competitions
- The main part of the book contains descriptions of 42 paddling sections, with maps and photos.
- I also compiled short but useful English–Russian phrasebook for riverrunners.
If you’d like to visit truly exotic and amazing place and enjoy multi-days big volume rivers paddling – Altai is the right place to come.
Contribute to my project and you will get perfect tool to make your trip to Altai rivers not just real, but also fun, safe and smooth. To contribute see: https://unbound.com/books/altai-whitewater-guidebook/