NATIONAL STANDUP PADDLING SERIES STARTS WITH 4TH ANNUAL FLAGSHIP NEWPORT BEACH EVENT
Standup for the Cure (SUFTC) kicks off its fourth year of fundraising with its flagship event Saturday, May 2 from 9:00am-3:00pm at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California. Over 1,000 participants are anticipated to come show their support of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen. Top international paddleboard experts, including the famous Schweitzer family, will instruct participants of all levels. SUFTC National Sponsor Ambry Genetics, along with Presenting Sponsors, Riviera Paddlesurf, Kaiser Permanente, and GLOBHE, and supporting Sponsors ohso! design, Emery Financial, Maui Jim, Kona Brewing Co., Ruth’s Chris Steak House, and Barefoot Winery are committed to the SUFTC motto: “Have Fun and Save Lives!” This combination of fun and social responsibility is a keystone of SUFTC’s tremendous popularity.
Entry fee for the Newport Dunes event is $35/person, and every $125 raised enables women in need access to breast cancer screening. Participants can register as a team or individual and/or donate here. To date SUFTC has raised over $350,000 in support of the Susan G. Komen, which provides valuable breast health services to local women in need.
“This is our fourth year and I am so proud of our accomplishments,” said Judie Vivian, SUFTC co-founder. “We’ve raised a tremendous amount of money in support of Susan G. Komen, but more importantly we’ve screened hundreds of women at our events, and brought the love and support of the paddling community to families impacted by breast cancer.”
Following the successful addition of their Miami event last fall, SUFTC is announcing a third event in Muskegon, Michigan this summer. “Anywhere there is a body of water and people passionate about ending breast cancer, we can host a Standup for the Cure,” says National Event Director, Dan Van Dyck.
MAY 2ND NEWPORT DUNES EVENTS INCLUDE:
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CLINIC taught by world-class SUFTC ambassadors, including the Schweitzer family. Other qualified instructors include Thomas Shahanian, Anthony Vela, Brennan Rose, and Matt Becker.
- SILENT AUCTION: Presenting Sponsor Riviera Paddlesurf has donated one of the limited edition SUFTC paddleboards. Other items include standup paddleboards from Isle SUP and Surf and Uli Boards, pink paddles from Quickblade and Kialoa, Maui Jim sunglasses, as well as Kona Brewing Company’s signature cruiser bike.
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT Johnny Love, a songwriter from Santa Ana, California, will perform. He has traveled across the U.S. spreading positive vibes and love through his music.
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Breast cancer and melanoma screenings will be offered during the event. Cancer specialists from Kaiser Permanente will offer these at the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo. Expert counselors will be on hand to help participants understand how to get affordable healthcare.
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is to practice on a paddleboard, giving the body a “core” workout from the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance. Suzanne Yeo, SUFTC ambassador and breast cancer survivor, will lead the clinic.
- FOOD AND DRINK: Irvine’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House will provide lunch; Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Winery will present a Happy Hour with live music.
- ACTIVITIES: The 2015 agenda include a Kids Race, a Surprise Format Pro Race, and the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo.
- “PINK” ATTIRE: Participants that register by April 30 will receive a complimentary custom pink SUP jersey from GreenLayer.
- PARKING: All-day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $6 per vehicle.
“Dry Foot” participants can take part in all festivities without getting in the water
In support of the fight against breast cancer, participants can sign up as a team or individual through the Crowdrise site. More information can be found at the SUFTC website, via Twitter @StandUp4TheCure and on Facebook. For high resolution photographs from previous years’ events and for the upcoming May 2nd event, please contact our SUFTC official photographer Harry Weiwel (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (562) 673-3481).
About Standup for the Cure:
Standup for the Cure is a unique not-for-profit support organization that introduces the breast cancer community to the healthy, active lifestyle of standup paddleboarding while raising money and awareness for early breast cancer detection, treatment, research and education.
Dan Van Dyck
SUFTC National Event Director